Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving!

Matt and I went back to Michigan together this past weekend for the Thanksgiving holiday. We went to Owosso Wednesday - Friday and Grosse Pointe Friday - Sunday. Wednesday night, mom and dad met us at the airport to give us a car (Ted style) so that we could get to all the places we needed to get to. We went out with a lot of Matt's friends on Wednesday night in Owosso which I thought was really fun, man do I miss Michigan bars being in DC where the drink "specials" are $10 pitchers of bud light during football games. In fact, that is the only time you can even get pitchers in DC that I've really found, so that was a welcome treat :).

Thursday, we celebrated Thanksgiving at Matt's house with 34, that's right, 34 members of Matt's family. I can not even come up with 34 member's of our family. Mom and Dad's side combined (including the canadian second cousins) gives only 32 and that is including EVERYONE I can think of (okay, not everyone because I'm not including the wilma contingent because we've really never celebrated any holiday with them). These 34 relatives of Matt's were all first cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents so not even second cousins or great aunts and uncles and it didn't include everyone. It was both sides of the family all in one place, which I don't think our family has ever done but I thought was cool! Matt's mom went all out with planning stuff, there was tons and tons of food and some games such as "name the beanie baby." I made the apple dip that Sara made at Tgiving last year and it was a big hit so I was happy. Most of the family members I met were all saying they were excited to finally meet me and that had heard a lot of good things about me, which is good so I was happy about that. All in all it was really fun.

Friday we made it over to Grosse Pointe and had a good time hanging out with the fam. Mom made another thanksgiving dinner so after that we were stuffed!! So much food in 24 hours!! We did a lot of relaxing and tv/movie watching. Saturday we went bowling and I have to say, our family is good at bowling. Dad had a 207 in the first game and Matt smoked the competition in the second game with a 190 and the average for our family was over 100 for everyone. Saturday night I went out with a few friends to a bar in St. Clair Shores and it was really nice to see everyone again and catch up. The visit went by really fast though and before I knew it, we were back at the airport leaving Michigan...again. We both had delays, Matt's were worse than mine though. All in all though, I think it was a great weekend and visit. Can't wait to see the family we missed for Christmas!!

No comments: