Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lets go (Navy) Blue!

So, this past weekend, since there was no Michigan football game, I went to the Navy football game in Annapolis against Rutgers. My friend Kelley invited me since her sister is a "firstie" (senior) at Navy. It was a lot of fun and very different than Michigan football games. First of all, since it is a military academy, there are a lot more rules that students have to follow. Every student is required to attend every football game from beginning to end, no leaving early. They all march in with their company in uniform (30 companies in the academy) and commanders(?) of each company get introduced and everyone lines up on the field. I took my disposable camera that I bought in New York when I saw the Little Mermaid because I wanted to finish it so I could get it developed (ahhh the good old days of film cameras...not knowing what the picture looks like the second after you take it!). Well, big surprise, I haven't gotten them developed yet. I was going to wait until I had the pics to post, but then I would have to go against my new rule of never going more than a week without posting so I'll just have to update it later when I get the pictures back.

So anyway, after all the midshipmen marched in, the game started. It was actually a really good game because both teams were at about the same skill level. (I also have to add that I felt weird there because it was Navy (a blue and gold team) against Rutgers (a red and white team). I felt like I was supposed to hate anyone I saw in red, I kept forgetting they weren't from THE...Ohio State University). Navy ended up winning with a late in the fourth quarter field goal, 23-21.

After the game, we went to a couple tailgates (at Navy, everyone tailgates after the game since they are not allowed to be drunk at the games, or even buzzed for that matter). We got lots of free food and I got to meet several of the people in Colleen's company...men in uniform :).

Also, John McCain was at the game, although I did not see him. It was homecoming and parent's weekend and I guess his son is in Colleen's company. They didn't do anything special for McCain though, if I hadn't been told he was there, I wouldn't have even known.

All in all it was a good day, fun to experience another college football stadium, totally different feeling that Michigan. That being said, I am going to Ann Arbor this weekend for some good old big ten football action. This time I will have my non-disposable camera so I can update with pictures any time I want.

On a side note, even though I know almost everyone who reads this blog, also reads Ted and Sara's blog, I just wanted to include this link to some pictures of my niece that were taken by a professional photographer and turned out adorable! http://sherryhammondsblog.com/
(just scroll down a bit until you see the photos of Leili!)

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I like your new policy of at least once a week!