Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Phone's Great Adventure

I get really happy when people do nice things/the right thing so I wanna tell this story:

Yesterday, I went in to DC to watch the Michigan game and then go out with a group of friends for the night. After a long day and night and watching Michigan lose (again) and hopping from bar to bar and in and out of a few cabs, I finally decide it is time to call it a night around 2am. So my friend and I hail a cab to head back to Alexandria (the metro stops running at 2am on weekends and we were too far from a stop to be able to make it). In the cab I was texting and calling people so I knew that I had my phone with me at that point. I get back to my apartment, pay the guy (thankfully with a good tip) and walk through my apartment door and realize I do not have my phone. CRAPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (other things were said/yelled but I like to keep the blog clean).

So, its too late to run back down because the cab has already left and I have no idea what cab company I took. Also, while I have a land line phone, I couldn't use it to call my cell phone because I don't have long distance service, and my number is still my Michigan phone number (I don't even think I could have just done it and paid a fee, I don't think it even works long distance). So the next morning I realize how hard life is without a phone. I had no way of contacting people other than IM and if they weren't at the computer, I was out of luck.

So a little while later, mom calls my land line phone because she had received all of my IMs about losing my phone and she gave me a calling card number to use so that I could make long distance calls. I called my phone a few times hoping anyone would answer it and I got nothing. Finally, a couple hours later, I decided to try again and the cab driver answered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never felt so relieved, it was great. I talk to him and he gave me his home address so I could drive there and pick it up, which I did about half an hour later.

It makes me so happy when stuff like this happens, he could have made no effort to get my phone back to me, I can't believe he gave me his home address but I am so relieved I got my phone back, I had no idea how attached I am to my phone until I was without it for about 12 hours.

I definately need to start being a lot more careful about grabbing my things when I get out of cabs!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Nice story. Great to hear about the people out there who are honest and helpful.

(and yes, I'm sure your language was a lot more colorful than you wrote in the blog!)

Sara said...

Thanks for keeping it clean yet real (the many exclamation points got your frustration across wonderfully)! I love exclamation points!!! I'm glad you had a good experience with finding your phone. Ted lost his phone in a cab once too. Good guy cab driver in that story as well.

Tedo said...

Cathy with colorful language? I don't believe it.

Glad it worked out for you, I think most of us would be pretty lost without our cell phones!!