Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mamma

Sorry it took me so long to get around to posting this, I've had trouble not being lazy since I got back from Bermuda.

The trip was wonderful, Bermuda was beautiful and Matt and I were able to do a lot while I was there.

I left Alexandria Thursday morning and had to fly indirect (o the humanity!) through Charlotte, NC. The first pictures I took were from the plane because I was so in awe of the beautiful water!



I got there Thursday afternoon, so Matt was still at work, but the hotel knew I was coming so when I got there they gave me my own key and everything so I was able to explore until Matt came home from work. This first picture is from the cab on the way to the hotel from the airport, then Matt's patio and pool, and the view of Hamilton and the harbor from Matt's pool.





Matt got home around 6 and we got some dinner. After that we tried to watch the wings game in Matt's apartment but the cable was being dumb (Matt gets normal american cable, but for some reason versus acts up a lot) so we went out to the bar to watch the game. We ended up meeting a guy who was also rooting for the red wings and found out he had lived in Ann Arbor for a year in a half working at the hospital so we were reminiscing about the good old days for a while. Then we met a Duck's fan who was telling us about all the stuff we should do while in Bermuda, they were both really cool so we were glad we went to the bar. The next day, Matt had to go to work again, so I went in to town to shop/explore. On my way I saw my first business man in Bermuda shorts so I took a sneaky picture of him because to me, it looked hilarious. After that I of course saw tons of people wearing this getup so it wasn't as funny. The other picture is of Front street in Hamilton which faces the harbor and is where many of the bars and restaurants are located.



This is the road Matt's hotel is on, as you can tell, it is not designed for pedestrians, but there is no other path to take to get into town so we had to walk it everyday, I feared for my life every time, and to add insult to injury, they drive on the left in Bermuda so I kept anticipating cars would be coming on the wrong side of the street, I never quite got the hang of the left driving, I don't know why it's so hard to just say "reverse everything you know" but I still get confused and forget which way is normal driving and which way is crazy left hand driving.



On Friday, I proceeded to sunburn my whole body, so on Saturday we decided to start the day off at the aquarium and zoo, because they are primarily inside/shaded. The aquarium had these crazy sea animals that freaked me out. Supposedly this green eel guy was like 6 feet long, I don't know where the rest of his body was, and this lobster was absolutely humongous!



Some fun facts about bermuda and a picture of Matt and I at the zoo in front of Harrington Sound


These were 400lb turtles! The were sooo big, Matt thought they were hilarious and so did I. We saw turtles all over the zoo which is fitting since Matt and I were turtles for halloween in college, so they hold a special place in my heart. Then we saw sea turtles and I named this one Crush after the turtle from Finding Nemo, they were so cool looking and looked just like the Nemo turtles.



After the zoo we decided to visit a light house so we could get a view of the whole island. I was hoping there would be a little more to it but it was pretty much just the light house and gift shop, I thought there might be some sort of museum at least but no, however the view was spectacular. We climbed almost 200 steps to get to the top and I don't think we realized how tired our legs were until we got back down to the bottom, both of our legs were wobbling from the climb! I also find the british versions of sayings to be hilarious so I took a picture of the sign above the tiny little door we had to walk through to get outside



On Sunday I was a little more healed from my sunburn so we decided to have more of an outdoor day. We went down to the other end of the island, which is more touristy, where Matt is staying in Hamilton is much more Business and formal. We were considering doing a dolphin experience thingy or snorkeling, and this seemed to offer the opportunity to do both, but we realized the dolphin thing was way too expensive so we gave up on that idea quickly. Then we went to the snorkel beach only to find out it was a pretty crappy beach and I was hoping for a more organized snorkeling experience, this was just a rent your own snorkel and have at it, so the day was shaping up to be a big disaster because we weren't within walking distance of any other beaches and we had alredy bought our return tickets on the ferry from where we were so we had to come back to that area to get back to Hamilton.

In a last ditch effort we went to the visitors center and found a brochure for a company that gives jetski tours of the island so we decided that would be fun. The only problem was the tours left from another part of the island so we'd have to take a cab there and back to catch the ferry. But we called anyway to try and make a reservation, but they didn't have an opening until 4:30 and it was only noon at the time and we had to be back by 4 for the wings game. So we said thanks but no thanks and then the guy was like "well can you get here by 12:30 because we have one opening on that tour" (two people on the jetski) and he asked if we could see a cab and said they would pay for us to take a cab there, but there were no cabs around so the guy came and picked us up!!! It was so awesome, he was really nice and we made it to the tour right on time. We got to jetski out to a shipwreck off of the island where there were tons and tons of fish and we fed them bread. The fish were literally jumping out of the water to get the bread, it was so cool! Then we went around some other areas of the island and saw David Bowie's house and the ritzy beaches where celebrities stay. The tour ended up being awesome, however I had never jetskied on the ocean before and it is a lot rougher than jetskiing on a lake! We were getting air on some of the waves and I was on the back of the jetski holding on to Matt for dear life. We didn't realize how much muscle we were using just to stay on, but we found out later that night. We were both so so sore from the tour that we had trouble going up and down stairs. It was probably a combination of the light house stairs the day before, and the jetski tour, it was pretty hilarious watching us try to walk around though. I couldn't take pictures during the tour, unfortunately but these are the pics I took after on our way back to Hamilton. This end of the island is where the cruise ships dock and there was a Norweigian Cruise Line ship in port while I was there.


On Monday, Matt had to work again so I went to Horseshoe Bay, which is the most famous Beach in Bermuda and it was so beautiful. I spent the day sitting on the beach enjoying the breathtaking views and reading/sleeping in the sun...pretty much my idea of heaven.



Bermuda Beaches are known for their pink sand, which was very cool looking. The last night I was there, Matt took me out to a wonderful restaurant right on the beach where we stuffed ourselves with tons of yummy seafood. We took this picture with the autotimer and it looks fuzzy because there was a light shining right in front of us, but I liked it a lot anyway.



All in all it was a great vacation, Bermuda was so beautiful and I would love to go back one day. I recommend it to anyone reading this blog!!

5 comments:

Sara said...

Great recap, I feel like I was there. But since I wasn't, I'm thoroughly jealous! What a wonderful trip!

Jim Styro said...

Great post - and the pictures were wonderful. Glad you had such a good trip.

Nancy said...

Sounds like Heaven to me! Thanks for all the details and great pictures. I love the shot of the guy in Bermuda shorts. Who knew guys really wear those for business attire? Glad you survived the crazy left-handed drivers, too.

Tedo said...

Oh, so THAT's where Bermuda is. Its always been a mystery to me. I guess I can move on to figuring out Aruba and Fiji now.

Nice work finagling the jetski tour, that sounds fun. Actually the whole trip sounds excellent.

Cathy said...

Yeah, maps are really hard to come by these days...