Monday, August 18, 2008

Old Friends

So yesterday (Sunday) I spent the day in Annapolis, MD. In case you do not know, Annapolis is the capital of Maryland and also home to the Naval Acadamy. It was really cute small town, reminded me a lot of up north Michigan (Petoskey/Harbor Springs/Charlevoix sort of vibe). It was especially exciting because I got to spend the day with one of my good friends, Kelley, from middle school. Kelley and I became friends in 6th grade because we both played cello in the orchestra, so we always sat next to eachother. We did duets together every year in the state competition and she is actually the one who introduced me to my first cello teacher, Mr. DiFiore (who could probably provide enough material for his own post), and got me to start taking private lessons. Unfortunately, at the end of 8th grade, Kelley's family moved to Baltimore, MD. Surprisingly, the whole group of friends managed to stay in touch with Kelley through all these years, helped by the fact that she came back during thanksgiving break every year because all of her relatives still lived in Michigan. She always said she wanted to come back and go to U of M, however she ended up at University of Maryland and is now a nurse working in Baltimore. Well now that I am out here in DC, I only live about 40 minutes from Kelley so we made arrangements to hang out yesterday. She suggested we go to Annapolis because it is a really cute town with lots of quaint little shops and waterfront with lots of boats, and because her sister happens to be a senior at the Naval Academy, so we were able to hang out with her as well. We did lots of shopping and went out to dinner, all in all it was a fun day. I would definitely recommend checking out Annapolis to anyone who comes out to visit me :)

1 comment:

Nancy said...

So glad to hear you were able to see Kelly again. Tell her I said hi!