Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Seaweed is always greener, in somebody else's lake!

I keep getting a lot of grief when I go too long without posting on my blog. This is what I have to say to that; too bad. Somehow I am very busy everyday, still trying to get settled, planning trips to and from New Jersey, and being (as dad likes to call it) a social butterfly. So, I do try to blog whenever anything interesting happens, so please keep checking because you never know. When I let it go a week without posting, I haven't forgotten about my adoring public, I'm just busy!!

Okay, now on to the point of this entry. I went to New Jersey this weekend to visit boy again and had a great time...once I got there. And so begins another tale of a 10 hour trip up the east coast to the beautiful town of Hackensack, New Jersey. I managed to make it to my bus (megabus again this time) BARELY on time. I literally walked on and the bus left as I sat down. Anywho, I figured this has to go better than last time for the following reasons: the bus moves, the bus left on time, I got my own seat with no one sitting next to me (yay!). We got to Baltimore in what I thought was pretty good time, about a half hour behind schedule, but with Washington DC traffic, I was not complaining. We then continued on to New York without any hitches until we got to the line for the Lincoln Tunnel. For those of you who do not know, in order to get in to NYC, you have to take a tunnel or bridge, and I have gathered that everyone and their mom goes through the Lincoln Tunnel when I am on a bus trying to get through it. We entered the traffic jam waiting for the tunnel at 5:30pm (45 minutes after we should have arrived in NYC, again, I was not complaining thinking we'd be about an hour late, much improved over last time). We exited the tunnel at 7:30pm much more behind schedule and much crankier (fyi, the distance we traveled was about 5 miles, 4 miles of which we traveled in the last 10ish minutes of that two hour window). So I get to Penn Station at 7:45, the same time I got there last time with the broken bus delayed train fiasco. So, I get to Hackensack at 9pm, again, the same time as my last trip for a door to door trip duration of 10 hours...again. Anyway, once I got to NJ, things got much better :)

On Wednesday (2 days before above trip), Matt surprised me with a wonderful surprise (I know I said surprise twice, but I didn't know what else to put). Matt got tickets for us to see The Little Mermaid on Broadway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basically, I was thrilled as I have never seen a broadway show (or been in new york outside of the train station) and The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney movie. So, on Saturday night, we got all dressed up and went in to the city for a night out on the town! We went out to dinner at a cuban restaurant, wandered times square, and made our way over to the show. The show was, as expected, spectacular. The entire cast was so talented and really seemed like they were having fun. All of the songs from the movie were included plus 10 new songs, all composed by the two men who originally wrote the songs for the movie. Matt and I were both especially impressed by Ursula; she had a great voice that was really awesome for those minor key villain songs and she had a cool costume!

The only down side to the night was that I left my camera in Alexandria :(. I bought a disposable one in times square, but didn't take 24 pictures, so I'll have to post pictures later when I finish the roll, I almost forgot how to take picture through the viewfinder!

Coming back to DC on the bus went off pretty much without a hitch, luckily, however I think I am done with taking the bus...from now on it will probably be plane, train, or automobile.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

You need to get a jetpack and just fly to NJ over all those cars backed up on the freeway...

The Broadway night sounded great. Glad you're getting to experience the Big Apple (other than from just outside Penn Station).

Ursula has always been my favorite villain.

Sara said...

The Little Mermaid is my fav Disney movie too! Pretending to be a mermaid wanting to be part of the world I was already in was really fun! Glad you had fun once you got to NYC.

p.s. do you accept fan mail?

Cathy said...

I do accept fan mail, but my response might come from my secretary and not from me

Tedo said...

The Little Mermaid is Leili's favorite Disney movie, as well. We skip through to the songs when we have our Saturday Morning Fun Time. She has a little finger puppet crab and octopus (Sebastian and Stanley) that I make dance and sing along.

As for the transportation, yikes. I'll get hustling on that transporter design....

Cathy said...

Ted, are you implying you know all the words to the little mermaid songs??

Tedo said...

No, I'm not implying, I'm flat out stating it as fact. Hey, I have three little sisters!