On Tuesday, I moved out of my training room and in to my new, permanent office at the PTO. I have one officemate, Mike, who started on the same day as me and was in my lab with me for the whole 6 months and is one of my hang out friends outside of work, so that is nice. We are also in the same "art unit" which is mainly the reason we got placed together.
My office has an actual door that closes and locks, I have a name plate thingy by my door, two whole desks to myself, my own bookcase, and my very own printer!! The computer setup is no different than what I had in the training academy but there is definitely more space. I am also now in the same building as my SPE (supervisor) and all of the other people in my art unit.
I actually feel like I am more a part of the PTO now because before, we were in a building that was next door to, but not connected to the actual PTO complex of 5 buildings. The 5 buildings are all connected on a concourse level below ground, so I don't have to go outside for anything anymore (now that it is getting warm of course).
Here are some pictures:
The name plate outside my office:

About a week before I moved in, I went over to check on things in the new office, and they had spelled my name Catherine Burke...let's just say I was not pleased. I had a gut feeling that that would happen because they also spelled my name wrong on the first day when I got my badge, so they had to give me a new one of those too. This sort of thing makes me so mad, I realize that the conventional spelling of Burk is with the e, but I get very touchy when people spell my name with the e because it happens so much and it is only because of pure laziness. Because my name is spelled wrong so much (Katherine Burke, doesn't even look like the same person) I make a really concerted effort to never spell people's names wrong, even when they seem conventional, and I know how frustrating it can be, I feel like this is the story of my life. I can not tell you how many times I have said "Cathy with a C, Burk with no e". My World history teacher in 6th grade and cross country coach in high school, Mr. Cooper, used to just call me that whenever he addressed me, I guess he like the ring it had.
View into my office from the hallway, the chair you see is my office mate's, my area is closer to the door:

This is where I sit:

My bookcase, this is to the right of my desk if I am sitting facing my computer, against the wall the door swings open toward:

Well, there it is, not bad eh? I am going to try and get a bulletin or white board this weekend to put on my wall to try and bring some life to the place.
4 comments:
Wow! What a grown up you are! Congratulations. We're very proud of you.
Hey, your own printer, no fair!!
Yeah, that stupid rogue "e" has shown up on nameplates and in corporate directories my whole career, too....
Wow looks fancy!
Nice office! I am glad I no longer have to spell out my maiden name, making up words to go with the letters (b as in boy, z as in zebra) and it would still get spelled wrong. I am now Sara Burk, no h, no e.
Post a Comment