Sunday, July 20, 2008

Cathy goes to the big apple

Well, I went to NYC for the first time in my life this past weekend and for the total of about one hour that I spent there, I have to say, I didn't care for it. Before everyone gets all outraged, let me just tell you that I am only about 0.01% serious. Let me clear up a few things:

1) When I say I "went to NYC" I really mean I went to New Jersey to visit Matt and merely stopped in NYC to catch a train.

2) Since the goal of this trip was to visit boyfriend, seeing all of the sights in NYC was not really the plan, so all I really saw of the city was one block around Penn Station in the evening.

3) I was already worried that I wouldn't be able to find the right train, only to have those fears realized when I bought a ticket for and boarded the wrong train. Luckily, I realized my mistake before the train left, but still, it was pretty demoralizing

All that being said, my first impressions of NYC were not great, but I am definately giving the big apple the benefit of the doubt and would definately like to go back and see some of the better things it has to offer.

I've done a lot of research into cheap transportation between Washington DC and NYC and discovered a few bus services that offer one way tickets for as little as $1, however actually getting a ticket for $1 is pretty rare, the fares are always $20 or less one way, usually less than $15. So, I decided to give it a whirl and it turned out to be pretty great. I rode the boltbus, and arrived in NYC 4.5 hours after leaving DC. It really was not all that bad because the buses have free wireless internet and outlets on every seat to plug in whatever you want. Had I not forgotten my headphones, it would have been even better because I could have watched the movies I brought with me.

After the fiasco that was me trying to get from downtown NYC to River Edge, NJ, Matt and I actually had a pretty good weekend. We watched Batman Begins on Friday* in preparation for The Dark Knight on Saturday, which we both really liked. We also played a good amount of Wii sports; apparently I am not too shabby of a wii golfer :). I had to leave pretty early Sunday morning though in order to get back to Alexandria and still have enough time to get ready for my first day of being a grown-up, which leads me to my next topic...

Tomorrow will be my first day of work at the patent office, I am excited to start working there and to meet new people. I will let everyone know how it goes!

*I am pretty ashamed to admit this, but I think if I don't people will think I am misleading them. This viewing of Batman Begins was actually my first memorable viewing of any Batman movie. This fact forced Matt to seriously consider the future of our relationship, but the fact that I wanted to see the Batman movies worked in my favor. Thankyou for finally getting me to watch Batman :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely,

Sounds as if buses just got more comfortable. I remember riding the Greyhound 28 hours from St. Augustine, FL to Detroit, MI. Not that much fun. Hope you enjoy your first day at work.

Reza

Nancy said...

Good luck on your first day of the "real world." Hope it goes better than your trip to NYC!

Love, Mom

Honey Brown said...

"Penn Station" the sub shop makes some damn fine sandwiches. They might only be an Ohio thing so you may not get the reference.

So in conclusion, I disagree with your whole post. And .01 is not a real number, it is just what the those with hats want you to believe. A man with a hat is a man who has holds his hair as a he holds a lie. Don't trust those hippies.

Sara said...

The BoltBus sounds fantastic! With the price of gas, the ticket prices sound good and you don't have to drive. Sounds fancy with all their wirelessness and such. I hope you give NYC another chance - I like it there. I hope you're first day of work was great - can't wait to hear about it!

Tedo said...

So what's going on with the job? The workload cutting into your blogging time, eh?