Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Moving In

Well, we made it to VA relatively unscathed and managed to haul all of my stuff up to my new apartment in only several hours.

We started in Grosse Pointe Woods on Friday afternoon with a fully loaded van and fully loaded little blue saturn.



After staying in Pittsburgh Friday night, we made it to Alexandria on Saturday around 3:00pm and began the long long process of unloading the van. We managed to make a really big mess in my apartment, but once we got things somewhat organized (I use that word very loosely), it looked a little something like this...



This is what the view looks like off of my balcony...



O yeah, I also turned 23 2 days after moving in and I got to celebrate it with a special visitor!



After birthday, the three girls (me, mom, and sister) pretty much shopped for two days straight. I picked out a new bed after 4 stores and ~5 hours of testing out different mattresses. We also made the obligatory trip to Bed Bath & Beyond to buy the same stuff that I feel like I buy every time I move (where does it all go???). We also went to Ikea for the first time ever, I was so excited to finally see what it was all about. I could have spent three days there, however I was disciplined and only bought a desk, table and chairs, three lamps, two bathmats and some other smaller things. I started putting some of the furniture together, however I am having a wall in my apartment painted tomorrow, so I have to keep that area clear, so I will probably wait a few days before I put the rest of the stuff together. I am pretty much fully wired now, except for a few internet issues I am having, I even have an actual land line phone (I know, I'm old fashioned).

Well, tomorrow is the day I officially get abandoned by my family and have to really start making it on my own, yikes! Hopefully I can stay busy with all of the tasks I still have to complete while I have free weekdays. I will post again to let you know how well I handle the being on my own thing, and when I get some furniture built so that my apartment doesnt look so sad.


O yeah, I was completely awful about taking pictures during this whole moving process (partly because I was undisciplined and partly because my camera was packed) so all of the pictures in this post belong to mom and are published with her permission. Thanks, mom!

1 comment:

Honey Brown said...

Matt creeps me out much as the steely blue eyed Ed Harris creeped me out in the 1982 film Creepshow.